Warmer London

No escaping it, London in January is not balmy.  There is a distinct lack of blue skies, heat and dazzling sunshine and very much in need of a little warmth I took myself on a tour of places in London where I could pretend London is actually in the tropics.

An obvious place is the hot house at Kew Gardens.  After trudging through the rain and battling the wind, I arrived at the magnificent glass and steel structure.  Inside gorgeous giant tropical leafy plants towered over me and the rich smell of the tropics warmed even the insides of my nostrils.  I even spotted a few bananas dangling above my head.  What was missing was a comfy deckchair for some long-term lounging around, preferably until summer re-appears.

Next, I researched Turkish Baths in London and discovered that there are only four large Victorian Turkish Baths remaining in the city:  Porchester Spa, Ironmonger Row, York Hall and the RAC Club.  But I also found some smaller hammams dotted around London and bravely took myself to the most authentic looking one in the heart of London's Turkish community in Dalston.  Even though a card in the window stated it was 'LADIES DAY' I felt my heartbeat quicken with nerves before going inside.
It was one of those shop windows you can't see behind and the signs outside offer massage in a slightly questionable way. 

 Pushing open the door I was greeted in Turkish.  Unfortunately, my Turkish isn't up to much but luckily I did manage to get shown to the changing room and later ushered down to the marbled steam rooms where I was encouraged to throw warm water over myself for twenty minutes.  This was no bad thing. I was finally defrosting.  The steaming that followed and the scrub down by a couple of burly women totally did the job.  By the time I was done, some two hours later, my body temperature was through the roof and I left the building in a t-shirt, singing summery songs to myself.  Tra-la-la-la.  I was warm and happy for at least ten minutes until the rain started to fall. Well, at least I know where to go next time I really need warming up.  And so do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment